Being raised by a narcissist parent can be quite difficult. It fills one’s life with challenges and by the time one realises the reality, it ideally gets too late. For a narcissist parent, their child is a trophy.
A narcissist parent seems perfect to the outside world, but is most likely to rage and scream at their child and spouse at home whenever they displease them.
Check out the points in this post that can help you identify various traits of a Narcissist Parent.
10 Traits of a Narcissist Parent:
1. A narcissist Parent views their child as an extension of their ego and they place a child’s value on how their child makes them look & feel.
2. Child in this case if doesn’t take care of the assigned roles, the parent feels shame and embarrassment. The child is then viewed as a shameful reflection.
3. A Narcissist Parent might end up taking control over all the aspects of their child’s life during their growing years (which carries on to the adulthood), to an extreme point : their clothes, their access to friends/love interest. The child in this case is so sheltered that they don’t know how to navigate through life on their own.
4. The child might view their parent ‘s control as care.
In this case, when the child grows older, they would find it difficult to navigate through emotional and social norms.
This child is unable to understand that the care is actually a control, which would not allow them to be independent later on in life.
5. The parent in this case may be indifferent, workaholic (includes house chores), cold, non affectionate (hugs and kisses in this case is non existent or minimal), raging and doesn’t notice their child’s emotional and social struggles. For eg. if a child is bullied, a narcissist parent would ideally never notice it.
6. The parent in this case doesn’t really respect the child, due to which they create an ideal of the child (idealization).
Just like the way they create a beautiful picture of themselves in public, they might create a fake and extravagant stories about their child. This is done just because they don’t want their trophy child to hurt their ego and public image. They are extremely image conscious of what the world thinks about their child and them.
7. They focus on their own outer beauty and that of their child. Inner beauty isn’t important to them. Eg: They would want to look their best even at a funeral (Yeah! They are that obsessed.)
8. Child in this case is viewed as a Golden child, a possible second Golden child or a scapegoat.
If the child doesn’t cater to their parent’s emotional, financial or social needs, the child becomes a scapegoat to things that can hurt them immensely.
9. For the longest time this child isn’t allowed to have their own identity as that could be a threat to the parent.
This child could rebel and takes charge of their life, become more confident than they could ever be under the parental guidance. The child flourishes and makes a mark, because this time they did it for themselves and to prove it to themselves.
9. Narcissists are known for being great with people. The world outside their extreme inner circle sees them as a completely different person, which is why they are publicly liked by almost all.
Because the world around sees this parent as a great person, no one actually validates the child’s truth. The child starts feeling isolated but never speaks about it.
I hope you found this post helpful in understanding about how a Narcissist Parent can hurt their child without even knowing.
LOVE THIS? BE SURE TO SHARE!!
Get on a discovery session With Life Coach Preet and discover new horizons. Reach me on Instagram to book one to one session or a group session.
??????????????? ?????????? ( ?????????) ????? ?????????? ??????????? EXPERT (???),???? ????? ??? ????, ????????? ????? & COACH FOR TEACHERS
If you found this post helpful or if you know of someone who could benefit from this, please go ahead and share this.
Feel free to personally contact me on my Instagram account or at firstname.lastname@example.org for any personal support.
Also, don’t forget to share your views in the comment section below .Follow me on Social Media to stay connected: